Follow WoyRMU15 on Twitter

Thursday, August 26, 2010

Str8 Killa EP review.


In my opinion, Freddie Gibbs is the most underrated and most under-appreciated rapper in the game today. He has a ridiculous flow, very good lyrics, the ability to tell a great story and nice beats on his tracks. He doesn't always get recognition as one of the best up and comers like a J. Cole, but he's as every bit as good as him. (Note: Even though I'm fans of both, I still would listen to J. Cole nine times out of 10 over Gibbs, but that's not the focus of this review.)

He released two mix-tapes last year - The Miseducation of Freddie Gibbs and midwestgangstaboxframecadillacmuzik (a spin off of Outkast's album southernplayalisticadillacmuzik) - and I enjoyed both, which had me hyped for this EP. I had high expectations for Str8 Killa...could he meet them? In one word; definitely.

1.) Str8 Killa No Filla ft. Big Kill - 3.5/5
- Big Kill kills this song, and I don't mean in a good way. Luckily, the hook and Gibbs' verses keep it afloat.
2.) Rep 2 Tha Fullest ft. Jay Rock - 3.5/5
3.) National Anthem (F*** The World) - 5/5
- The way Gibbs throws his flow in this track is unreal. Hook's catchy too; this is truly an anthem. One of my favorite tracks of 2010 for sure.
4.) The Coldest ft. B.J. The Chicago Kid - 4.5/5
- This B.J. dude does a great job on the hook.
5.) Personal OG - 4/5
6.) Live By The Game - 4/5
7.) Rock Bottom ft. Bun B - 5/5
- Both Gibbs and Bun B kill it. Bun's one of my favorite rappers on guest appearances.
8.) Oil Money ft. Chuck Inglish, Chip Tha Ripper, Bun B & Dan Auerbach - 4/5

Overall Grade: 4.2/5

After Oil Money ended, I started wishing there was more tracks. Unfortunately, this is an EP and not a LP or mix-tape, but that doesn't diminish the quality of this release. It's up there for me with Pilot Talk by Curren$y and More About Nothing by Wale as one of the best this year so far.

I can't say enough how much I love National Anthem (F*** the World). The beat just fits perfectly, the subject matter is great, and like I said before, his flow is incredible on that track. Rock Bottom would be my second favorite from the EP, and even though I gave 3.5's to Str8 Killa No Filla and Rep 2 Tha Fullest, they were just a few changes away from 4-4.5's (hint: the guest appearances). Oil Money kind of disappointed me because I saw Bun B and Chip Tha Ripper on the track and although they did well, I don't care for the beat on it for some reason. It's still a good song though and finishes off the EP nicely.

Hopefully he'll pick up some more fans from this release and people will actually go out and pick up the physical copy of this. I know I would if I can find it; highly doubtful though. Gibbs hasn't hit his peak yet and if I think he's dope now, then I'm excited for what the future brings him.

No comments:

Post a Comment