Follow WoyRMU15 on Twitter

Sunday, August 8, 2010

More About Nothing review.


It's been a while since we've heard Wale's name in the hip-hop scene. His debut album Attention Deficit released almost a year ago, and although disappointing - J. Cole's verse on Beautiful Bliss was the highlight - it was still a decent listen but had fans wanting more.

Now after an absence, he has released a "sequel" of sorts to A Mixtape About Nothing; which is, in my opinion, an absolute masterpiece and one of the best mixtapes I've ever heard. When it was announced, More About Nothing jumped into the top of my most anticipated projects for the rest of the year.

By the way, if you didn't know, Wale went to (my future alma mater) Robert Morris University for a year, running track and playing football. I just felt the need to brag.

1.) The Problem - 3.5/5
2.) The MC - 4/5
3.) The Soup - 4.5/5
- Stethoscope line is fire. "This is More About Nothing, I'm the f***ing show."
4.) The Breeze (Cool) ft. Wiz Khalifa & Tré of UCB - 5/5
- Finally Wiz and Wale do a track together. I love Khalifa on the hook.
5.) The Friends N Strangers ft. Tré of UCB - 4.5/5
6.) The Numbers Won (Competition) - 4.5/5
7.) The Eyes of the Tiger - 4.5/5
8.) The War ft. Daniel Merriweather - 5/5
- I'm glad I gave this a few more listens before the review...definitely changed my thoughts on it.
9.) The Break Up Song - 5/5
- This song really shows the smoothness of Wale's flow. The first 40 seconds throw you around for a loop though.
10.) The Work (Workin') - 3/5
11.) The Black N Gold ft. Sam Sparro - 4.5/5
12.) The Manipulation Pt. 2 - 4/5
13.) KD Interlude - 2.5/5
- Wasn't necessary, but I can see why Wale gave Kevin Durant a shoutout.
14.) The Posse Cut (Who Don't) ft. Fat Trel & Black Cobain - 4/5
15.) The Guilty Pleasure (No Hands) ft. Waka Flocka Flame & Roscoe Dash - 4/5
- Waka Flocka Flame should fall off a cliff.
16.) The Trip (Downtown) - 4.5/5
17.) The Ambitious Girl - 5/5
- Wale's exactly right; a girl with drive is extremely sexy.
18.) The Motivation (Be Right) ft. Dre from Cool & Dre - 4/5
19.) The Cloud ft. Tiara Thomas - 3.5/5
20.) The Power ft. Avery Storm - 4.5/5
- I haven't heard Avery Storm since Nelly's Sweatsuit album.
21.) The Get Away (Fly Away) ft. Northeast Groovers - 3.5/5

Overall Grade: 4.2/5

Like I said earlier, I thought A Mixtape About Nothing was a masterpiece. However, I have to say that although the previous tape was maybe a more complete project, this is a more enjoyable listen. There are many highlights - The Breeze, The War, The Break Up Song, The Ambitious Girl - and the stretch from The Soup to The War is one of the best sequences of tracks I've heard all year.

With so many good mixtapes out this year, it's pretty impressive when I say that this is the best out of the group. (Albeit, I think Mood Muzik 4 will give him a run for his money.) The Seinfield theme never gets old to me and Wale gives you a variety of different themes that can appeal to different tastes.

Now Wale just needs to come to RMU again for a concert.

No comments:

Post a Comment