Follow WoyRMU15 on Twitter

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Boston's Boy review.

In March, a cocky, upcoming rapper named Sam Adams released his EP called Boston's Boy on iTunes and it hit the number one slot over recently released albums from mainstream heavyweights DJ Khaled and Lil' Wayne. However, there was a rumor that he allegedly bought his albums to boost sales, but that was denied later.

With the success of the EP - which followed an unofficial mix-tape (Boston's Opening Day) featuring the remix of Asher Roth's first hit called I Hate College (Remix) - Adams re-released the same album, but a hard copy of it. Along with the original eight tracks on the EP, Adams added four more tracks to go along with it, including one with Curren$y. Even though I've had most of the album for quite some time, it still technically counts as a new release, so I decided to review it.

1.) Comin' Up - 2.5/5

One thing you'll notice throughout the album is the beats. They're different than most you would hear on a rap album and I'm a fan of that. Sam comes in with an okay track to begin this, talking about how he's coming up in the rap game. The hook is pretty catchy...you'll hear me say this a lot.

2.) Driving Me Crazy - 4/5

This was the first single from Boston's Boy. Geared more to be a club song (another thing you'll hear throughout the album), it's up-beat and is pretty lady-friendly, but I dig his lyrics on it. Sam's lyrics actually make it guy-friendly as well in a way, with some quotables.

3.) Swang Your Drank - 1.5/5

Don't like this song at all and usually I'm not too hard to please.

4.) Just Love Here - 5/5

After the first three songs, you'd expect another song talking about sex, weed and partying in some nature. However, it's a big surprise when the beat drops and it's more of a chill one than up-tempo. Sam talks about his past and how he's made it to where he's at now. I'm a sucker for emotional, deep songs, and that's exactly what he has here. Best song on the album.

5.) Coast to Coast - 4.5/5

The piano comes in and it seems like it'll be another slower type song, but then the hook drops and it immediately changes everything. It's still slow compared to the other club bangers, but it's another fun, up-tempo track. I really like Sam's flow on the hook and the verses are pretty good as well. I wanted another verse though.

6.) You Girl - 3.5/5

Instead of speaking about multiple women, he focuses on one for this song. The beat features more piano and has a techno feel to it, but it's a very chill song and easy to listen to.

7.) Tab Open - 4/5

One listen to this and I have the hook stuck in my head all day. Fun fact: Sam's actual name is Samuel Adams Wisner and went by Wiz for a stage name. Well he addresses this during the song and explains why he just goes by Sam Adams now.
"I might be outside blowin' kush in the air
I used to be the Wiz til Khalifa said yeah"
Another party-esque song, but fun to listen to.

8.) I'm So High - 4.5/5

Before the hard copy came out, this was my second favorite song on the album behind Just Love Here. The beat is nice and I love the trumpet at the end. Just like Coast to Coast, I feel like it's a little short, and that's what essentially holds it back from a 5/5.

9.) Still I Rise ft. G. Curtis - 4.5/5

First bonus track I heard and I was really feeling it. G. Curtis holds the first guest spot and does a nice job on the hook. Sam's rhymes are pretty nice and I think his second verse is one of the best on the album as he speaks about how he's made his mark in the game, but isn't going anywhere but up.

10.) See Me Now - 4.5/5

Seems like Sam's speaking about an ex-girlfriend in this one, something I'd never expect from him considering the content of his lyrics in most songs. For a second, I thought the soccer player from Trinity near Boston was too good for relationships. He's pretty much saying he's changed and can settle down if he can have this girl back in his life. At least that's how I interpreted it.

11.) Fly Jets Over Boston ft. Curren$y - 3.5/5

I was so hyped for this song coming in, especially with the success of Pilot Talk from Spitta. Sam has a nice first verse and Curren$y rips it up in the second, but the song is too short and I hate the hook. A lot of potential for another 5/5 track, ruined because of a few fixable flaws.

12.) Just Sayin' - 4/5

As cliche as Sam's subject matter is at times, I laughed at the first line and can see that being used a lot.
"Chicks at my table lookin' at me all perplexed
Like, 'if you ain't interested in me, at least give me sex'"
He gives his fans a shoutout at the end of the second verse, as the entire song just consists of Sammy having a good time with it. Another fun - have I used this word too much for his songs yet? - track and a good way to finish the album.

Overall Grade: 3.8/5

Before I get into my final thoughts, let me say that Sam Adams' music is an acquired taste. It's geared more towards college kids and constant club goers, not to your diehard hip-hop heads who compare everything to Illmatic or The Blueprint. Anyways, this is a very enjoyable album if you are a fan of the guy. Maybe it's because I'm doing this review at three in the morning, but the score seems pretty high compared to my estimate (3.2-3.5) before I actually started it.

Sam is still very young and has some big-time potential, but he chooses to focus the subject of his songs on the same material (sex, alcohol, weed). That's why I was pleasantly surprised by Just Love Here and See Me Now; two songs that are out of the ordinary for him. If he could create more tracks like them, then I think he can gain more of an appreciation from the true hip-hop heads.

Overall though, Sam knew who he was focusing to please and did just that with Boston's Boy. The question will be with his 1-2 mixtapes coming out later this year, will he continue to create the tracks you'll hear bumping from dorm parties, or will he start putting more raw emotion into his work?

No comments:

Post a Comment