Follow WoyRMU15 on Twitter

Sunday, November 14, 2010

5.0 review.

Before I start this, I would like to say that if you're a first-time reader of my reviews, I suggest not to make this your first impression. I'm not saying this because I think my writing is going to be bad (it's not), but I'm a big "homer" if you want to say when it comes to Nelly. Basically what I am saying is that I doubt you'll have the same opinion about this album that I do.

Enough about that though, let's actually get into reviewing this album. Nelly was probably my first favorite rapper, whenever Country Grammar hit the scene 10 years ago. I think most hip-hop heads will be able to tell you that his first two albums Country Grammar and Nellyville were pretty damn good, while Sweat and Suit in 2004 were disappointments. (I, however, thought Sweat and Suit were really good as well.)

Brass Knuckles was supposed to be Nelly's return to the spotlight in 2008, but it flopped miserably. (This album I actually didn't like.) With three mediocre albums, according to most, in a row under his belt, it wasn't much of a surprise that when Nelly announced his fifth album, 5.0, it didn't receive a huge buzz around the hip-hop community. Obviously, I was excited about it but most others didn't know he had another album coming out.

Immediately I heard DJ Khaled's voice on I'm Number One [1/5] and wanted to change to the next track; his shouting ruins so many songs. Nelly's first verse is okay, but then Baby a.k.a Birdman comes in during the second and just sucks. The only time I'm ever interested in listening to him rap is if it's a Big Tymers reunion with Mannie Fresh.

I honestly can't tell if Nelly's in Long Gone [2/5] because he's doing the half-singing, half-rapping thing with his voice throughout his verses. Chris Brown isn't too noticeable either on the hook. Plies comes in at the end and drops a hilarious (hilarious in the sense that sucks) verse, but I honestly look forward to it every time this song comes up.

She's So Fly [3.5/5] features T.I., but at first I thought it should say it featured Nelly, because I thought T.I. did all three verses. However, the closer I listened to it, the more I realized it was actually Nelly on verse two and three, which is now the second time I couldn't recognize his voice. Anyways, this is just another fun track, which is what you should expect from the king of St. Louis.

Everyone has heard Just a Dream [4.5/5] by now. Nelly shifts to a R&B style and although it's corny, I can't play this enough. When it released, this actually brought my hype level for 5.0 up a few notches, but the next single pushed it down. The music video isn't necessarily random as hell like I thought it was at first, but it's weird.

Making Movies [4/5] is a track that you can tell what it's about by the title. I like the overall feel of the song, kinda reminds me of My Place off of Suit with Jaheim, except it's nowhere near as good. Still a pretty solid track that I wouldn't get tired of.

Move Your Body [2.5/5] was the newest single that came out and is definitely a track for the club. I don't care for the hook or the beat, for that matter, but I can listen to Nelly's verses and T-Pain's "verse" as well.

I really love the Notorious B.I.G. sample on 1000 Stacks [4.5/5]. I love the beat, Nelly's verses are good enough for me but the only thing holding this back from a perfect rating is Diddy's hook. It's not bad, but I think Nelly could have found someone else to make that better.

Kelly and Nelly strike gold again in Gone [5/5]. This is supposed to be Dilemma part two and although it's nowhere as epic as the original Dilemma on Nellyville, this is still a damn good song that gives Nelly his first 5/5 of the album. It doesn't have a flaw in my mind.

Don't It Feel Good [3/5] doesn't stand out in any way to me. Whenever I listen to the album, I go through the tracks and most of the time don't even notice this track already played. Not great, not horrible, just okay.

Broke [2/5] has a really nice beat, but Sophie Green on the hook is so annoying; so annoying that it's funny, like Plies' verse. Yo Gotti is terrible, while Nelly is just there. Another forgettable song pretty much.

Once again, another club track comes forth in Liv Tonight [2.5/5]. I mean seriously, listen to the beat and lyrics and tell me it's not a track made for the clubs. Keri Hilson shows up on the hook.

I am a big sucker for tracks like Nothing Without Her [4.5/5]. The piano at the beginning sets the mood for the rest of the track, as Nelly speaks about a past relationship that he misses and how nothing matters without her in his life. Like I said, I'm a sucker for these types of tracks.

Although I am very biased when it comes to Nelly, I feel like this album is okay [3.25/5] with some nice highlights but numerous meh tracks. It's better than Brass Knuckles, but of course, that's not saying much.

I don't really know where Nelly can go from here. I know in the public's eyes this will be another strike out, so is he done? I think with tracks like Gone and 1000 Stacks, he still has something left in the tank, but I'm not sure if he can create another album that is at least as good as Sweat or Suit. That being said, I would like for him to team up with the Lunatics crew again and see if they can put out some music; I miss some Nelly and Murphy Lee collabs.

No comments:

Post a Comment