Follow WoyRMU15 on Twitter

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Thanks for the memories, VY.


This was bound to happen.

Vince Young, one of the most exciting players in the NFL, will be cut or traded from the Titans as early as February 7th.

As a Titans fan, I'm upset by the news but not devastated. With the tension between Young and head coach Jeff Fisher reaching its highest level after the Washington Redskins game, it was almost a guarantee that one of the two were not going to be with the organization in 2011. My gut thought Fisher would stay to my disdain and it was right, as Fisher should return for his 18th year.

First off, let me state that I do not condone Young's actions throughout his tenure in Tennessee. I do however feel like Fisher is to blame a bit for Young's immaturity, because he's never given him a fair shake in my eyes. Young has always had to look over his shoulder, because Fisher was more willing to pull him out for the back-up than vice versa.

That being said, one of the two needed to go, as it was clear they couldn't co-exist anymore. I personally felt Fisher should have went because it was clear the last few years what Fisher did without Young but it was still unknown what Young could do without Fisher. However, I'm not too upset at the result because Fisher is more proven than Young, even though the latter has been progressing nicely over the last two years whereas Fisher has been regressing.

Now that Tennessee is treating Fisher like an elite coach by keeping him after six-game losing streaks in consecutive seasons (although this isn't official yet, I would like it better if both were gone and just start off completely fresh), he better be held to a high standard in 2011. He got his wish by Young leaving, now he needs to coach the team to at least a playoff berth. The talent is definitely there and the schedule will be weak next season, so there's no excuses.

Fisher needs to stop being so loyal to veterans and coaches that are almost useless (Justin Gage, Donnie Nickey and defensive coordinator Chuck Cecil are examples) and instead play the best players. He needs to take responsibility for losses instead of blaming it on the players. He needs to trust his starting quarterback and not cause tension with him like Steve McNair at the end of his career, Billy Volek and now Young. If he does all of these things and we are successful in the win column, then I will change my opinion about Jeff Fisher and want him as the head man in Tennessee. I, however, am doubtful this will happen.

I'd like to thank Vince Young for all the memories he's given me as a Titans fan. He gave Tennessee a 21-point fourth-quarter comeback against the Giants in his rookie year. He gave Tennessee a walk-off overtime touchdown run in his home state that same year. He gave Tennessee their first playoff berth in four years the following season. He gave Tennessee an astonishing 99-yard drive to beat Arizona last season, which continued an incredible late-season surge that almost resulted in a playoff berth.

The thing that upsets me the most about Young leaving isn't the moments he left me with, but rather the way he was progressing into a good quarterback and following in Steve McNair's footsteps. The stats were similar at their points of their careers and he was a great guy off-the-field, providing McNair's kids with a father-like figure after Steve was murdered.

I have no doubt in my mind Vince Young will be successful on his next team if given the opportunity. I've watched him long enough to see incredible progression and growing up (don't judge just from the Washington incident, that was more on him being frustrated because he wasn't allowed to go back into the game) to know whoever signs or trades for him will be getting a talented player who comes through in the clutch. I just hope his next coach trusts in him a lot more than Fisher did.

So once again, thanks for the memories Vince, and I will always be a fan of yours wherever you go.

1 comment: