Follow WoyRMU15 on Twitter

Saturday, June 5, 2010

Thank Me Later review.




























One of the most anticipated debut albums in recent history, Drake's "Thank Me Later" leaked onto the Internet for people to download just a few days ago. It officially doesn't come out in stores until June 15th, but I decided to give a review on it; maybe it'll influence your decision to cop it or just download single tracks.

1.) Fireworks ft. Alicia Keys - 4/5

Drake starts off his debut with a more emotional joint with the talented and beautiful Alicia Keys on the chorus. In this song, he addresses many different subjects, including his fling with Rihanna in the second verse. Sounds like a track you'd find off of So Far Gone, which isn't a bad thing at all. I liked the original leak better, but this version is still one of the best songs on the album.

2.) Karaoke - 3.5/5

At first listen, I thought this was one of the weakest tracks on the album, but after a few more run-throughs, I gained more of an appreciation for it. I like how he changes up from singing in the first verse to rapping the second. This track also shows a lot of improvement in his voice from So Far Gone...something I wanted to see because I feel he could be a better R&B artist than rapper (more thoughts on that later).

3.) The Resistance - 4.5/5

Top track on the album? Almost. The second verse in this could be one of the best Drake has spit; at least it's one of my favorites because of the story-telling and emotion coming from it. Kind of reminds me of "Fear" (one of my favorites of his) off of Heartbreak Drake 3.

4.) Over - 2/5

This was the first single off of TML, so it wasn't my first listen when I started to play the album. The beat is really hot, but I just feel like his verses are really annoying. I've heard other rappers - Eminem, Royce da 5'9, Los, even 14-year old prodigy Diggy Simmons - go over this beat and I found their versions more enjoyable to listen to. Definitely didn't keep the momentum going after a great track in "The Resistance."

5.) Show Me a Good Time - 4/5

Very fun track and very enjoyable to listen to; it's already leading the way in most plays out of this album. Drake spits a little faster than usual to keep up with the beat, but it still works out well. The second verse (been looking like his best verse in most of the songs so far) provides many quotables. There's not that emotion in this one that there is in other tracks, so that bumped the rating down just a tad.

6.) Up All Night ft. Nicki Minaj - 2.5/5

Another track I just can't connect to. I feel like Nicki outshines Drizzy on his own joint, which isn't bad if you're collaborating with one of the bests in the game...not Miss Minaj. It's not a bad song at all; it's just that nothing stands out.

7.) Fancy ft. T.I. & Swizz Beatz - 3/5

This would have seen a better rating but it ran too long for my tastes. T.I. went in on his verse like I expected and Drake didn't disappoint much. Swizz Beatz does a solid job on the hook, but I feel like this is a song geared towards the ladies more so than just the overall listener.

8.) Shut It Down ft. The Dream - 1.5/5

Seven minutes long...seriously? Nothing, I mean nothing at all, stands out in this song. I don't care for The Dream - minus Rockin' That Thang (Remix) - and both his and Drake's verses are very forgettable and plain. (Shut it down...Onyx. Really?) The chorus isn't that bad, but it doesn't make up for the rest of the song.

9.) Unforgettable ft. Young Jeezy - 3/5

First of all, this is not one of your dumbest flows ever, Drizzy. It sounds the same as most of your others. Young Jeezy comes in and does a good job and despite Drake's lie at the beginning, he still brings the heat with a solid verse. Once again, nothing stands out, but it's not a bad thing.

10.) Light Up ft. Jay-Z - 5/5

It's about damn time. After some blah and bad tracks, Drake brings Hov in for the best song on the album. Drake absolutely goes in during his verse, but Jay-Z overshadows him just a little bit; not a knock at all considering he's one of the greatest in the game. I just love everything in this song and that's why it's the only one to receive a perfect rating.

11.) Miss Me ft. Lil' Wayne - 3.5/5

Really like the beat in this one. I love how the bass kicks in mid-way through the song; shocks you, but in a good way. Drake's verse is alright...didn't care for the whole 'proposing to Nicki Minaj' section of it though. Weezy's verse was okay, but comparing yourself to a groundhog because you get money? You're much more creative than that.

12.) Cece's Interlude - 2/5

Drake doesn't know where his vocal range peaks at the beginning of this song. Eventually his singing gets back on par, but the first few notes made me want to hit the next button right away.

13.) Find Your Love - 4/5

This was the second single off the album and it was much better than Over. The beat sounds like something you'd find off of "808's & Heartbreaks," and of course Mr. West himself produced the track. I feel like he shows a lot of R&B potential in this song, moreso than others on this album, because of the up-beat, yet simplicity of everything. The lyrics won't stand out, but it's so damn catchy and something you want to sing along to.

14.) Thank Me Now - 4/5

I absolutely despised this track at first listen, but it's pretty good to me now. Not exactly the grand finale that I expected, especially starting off with all them Fireworks, but I wanted a really great ending song. Everything's solid about this song; nothing stands out, nothing disappoints.

Overall Grade: 3.3/5

With a lot of great music coming out this summer (Eminem's "Recovery", Kanye West's "Good Ass Job", J. Cole's debut album), I wanted to see if Drake could live up to all the hype and keep this album in my regular rotation for the next few months.

I didn't expect greatness from Drizzy, but he still did a solid job with his debut. There are a few throw-away tracks and some that have me shaking my head at moments, but for all the negatives, there are also some big positives and his collaborating artists really came with some good stuff.

I consider myself a Drake fan, but one thing that I have never liked from his music is that he sounds very monotone and shows little emotion in most of his tracks. (Obviously, "The Resistance," "Light Up" and others not on this album are an exception.) In addition, his punchlines at times are very weak (the Onyx line in "Shut It Down" is a big example) and makes me wonder if he should shift towards more of a R&B career.

But overall, this will get some play in my car for the next few months, but I see the rest of the summer's biggest releases jumping Thank Me Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment