Follow WoyRMU15 on Twitter

Friday, September 11, 2009

NFL Opening Night Thoughts.

Damn, it is tough to be a Titans fan living in the middle of Steelers country. Constantly (but playfully, not serious) heckled during all my classes yesterday, I was hoping Tennessee would put on a show and repeat on last year's performance - a 31-14 win. I planned on going to this game, but unfortunately when my schedule came out, I had a Journalism class from 6-8:30 on Thursday nights - right when the game started. Bummer.

My pre-game prediction: Titans 20, Steelers 14. I had a lot of faith in the Titans D, even without Albert Haynesworth. I thought that Roethlisberger would throw some interceptions and the Tennessee defensive line would dominate Pittsburgh's o-line. It would be a tough, physical game throughout the night, but I figured the men in blue would pull it out.

Here were my thoughts on the Titans performance:

- Vince Young looked good...sitting on the bench.
- Defensive line will be just fine, they looked pretty good.
- Kenny Britt is going to be a stud. Made some clutch catches.
- I can't stand Justin Gage still, drops too many passes.
- Besides the pick by Troy, Collins threw the ball well.
- CJ had some good runs, Slimdale maybe had one 5+ yarder.
- Hey Chuck Cecil, you don't have to run a prevent defense the entire second half and overtime.
- I know Heinz Field is a tough place to kick at, but seriously Rob? You're a top notch kicker, but that was awful.
- And finally, if Cecil gets his act together with his play schemes, I see another AFC South title.

And some thoughts about the Steelers as well:

- Hines Ward is thankful he can sleep tonight.
- Ben is, in my opinion, a top five quarterback in this league. Although he doesn't put up the best stats, he still makes the plays when it counts.
- Mendenhall and Moore looked a lot more impressive than Parker. Willie might be on his way out in the near future.
- The Madden curse strikes again! Sucks for Troy though, he was playing beastly before the injury. The one handed pick was incredible.
- Even without Polamalu for a few weeks, I still see Pittsburgh winning the AFC North.

So there you have it! A great game to watch and even though Tennessee lost, I enjoyed it. Both teams are top tier in the AFC and I see both winning playoff games this year.

If you want, leave a comment below and I'll try to respond to it. Until then, I will hopefully see you again after Saturday with thoughts from the Penn State/Syracuse and other games.

3 comments:

  1. good write up Mr. Woy. looking forward to your thoughts on the Penn State game

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yo Xixak here man. Looking good. I'll bookmark this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent write up.. let's go PSU!

    ReplyDelete